INTRA-DISTRICT PERMIT GUIDELINES & CRITERIA
Parents or educational rights holder of Transitional Kindergarten-12th grade students, who live within the boundaries of one school in LAUSD, may request an intra-district permit to allow them to attend another school within LAUSD.
- All parents requesting an intra-district permit shall be provided with the opportunity to apply, regardless of the reason for the request.
- LAUSD must consider available space and staffing prior to granting a permit.
- A separate permit application packet must be submitted for each individual student.
- Permit applications and required documents must be submitted and approved by both LAUSD schools prior to enrollment.
- Permits will be processed in the order the completed application was received.
- Permit approval from either school is not guaranteed.
- Intra-district permits do not carry transportation privileges; parents/guardians are responsible for transporting the student to and from school.
- Student is to enroll at their school of residence or remain enrolled at the current school of attendance until a final decision is made.
Intra-District Permit Criteria
Intra-district permits can be requested based upon one of the following criteria:
- Parent Employment
- Specialized Program
- Safety and Protection
- Continuing Enrollment
- Special Circumstances
Required documents will vary, depending on the type of permit requested.
- Intra-district permits may be issued at any time during the current school year.
- Applications for the following school year will be accepted starting on the second Monday of March.
- Once the initial permit is approved by both schools, permits must be renewed annually by the requested school.
- A separate Intra-District Permit Packet must be submitted for each individual student.
- Review and complete the Intra-District Permit Packet (Attachment A-1 to A-4).
- Review Intra-District Permit Guidelines (Attachment A-1).
- Review Intra-District Permit Criteria (Attachment A-2).
- Complete Initial Intra-District Permit Application (Attachment A-3).
- If applicable, complete the Intra-District Permit Childcare Affidavit (Attachment A-4).
Note: If any of the above attachments were not provided, request it from school staff.
- Intra-district permit applications and required documents must be submitted and approved by both LAUSD schools prior to enrollment.
- Resident School: Submit the Initial Intra-District Permit Application (Attachment A-3) and all required supporting documents to the school of residence. Once approved, move on to the requested school.
- Requested School: Submit the completed Initial Intra-District Permit Application (Attachment A-3) and all required supporting documents to the requested school. The administrator at the requested school will review the application and supporting documents. If the Initial Intra-District Permit Application (Attachment A-3) is approved by the administration at the school of residence and the requested school, the student become enrolled, and the requested school will notify the parent.
INTRA-DISTRICT PERMIT PACKET
INTRA-DISTRICT PERMIT DENIALS/CANCELLATIONS & APPEALS
Initial Permit Denial
Permit approval from either school is not guaranteed. If a permit request is denied by either school, the parent shall be informed of the appeal process by the denying school.
Permit Cancellation or Renewal Permit Denial
If a permit is cancelled at the end of Fall semester or the renewal permit is denied, the parent shall be informed of the appeal process.
Intra-District Permit Appeals
If an intra-district permit application has been denied/cancelled, the parent/legal guardian has the right to appeal if they believe that an exception to district policy is warranted or that circumstances fall within district guidelines.
The appeal must be submitted to the Region Office Operations Administrator for the school that denied/cancelled the permit. During the appeals process, the student has the right to remain at their current school of attendance pending the final decision.
REGION OPERATIONS CONTACT INFORMATION
2151 North Soto St.
Los Angeles, CA 90032
6621 Balboa Blvd.
Lake Balboa, CA 91406
1208 Magnolia Ave.
Gardena, CA 90247
11380 West Graham Pl.
Los Angeles, CA 90064