School Enrollment Placement and Assessment (S.E.P.A.) Center
The primary purpose of the S.E.P.A. Center is to accelerate and facilitate the enrollment and adaptation into school for newly arriving and continuing students attending L.A. Unified schools. The center's services also include assisting schools across the District by providing consultation and advocacy for families. The S.E.P.A. Center is staffed by a multidisciplinary Student Health and Human Services team, including a Pupil Services & Attendance (PSA) Counselor, Psychiatric Social Worker (PSW), School Nurse/Nurse Practitioner, Health Insurance Advocate, and Interpreter Aides.
Types of Services
- Assists students and families with limited language/literacy skills to understand and complete the enrollment forms, medical consent forms and other documentation
- Schedules appointments, shares services offered at S.E.P.A. Center, and provides information on other district and community resources
- Case manages students to prevent delays in enrollment, educates and offers guidance regarding student/parent rights, responsibilities and attendance laws
- Assesses students/families for trauma and provides mental health interventions and referrals
- Provides referrals to non-profit legal organization partners for students and families
- Conducts health screenings, immunizations, medical referrals, and physical exams
- Assists in completing and enrolling students and families in health insurance plans
- Determines the service needs of each student/family and provides advocacy, training, outreach to the schools regarding services provided through the S.E.P.A. Center, throughout the District and community
Los Angeles S.E.P.A at Plasencia
1339 Angelina St.,
Los Angeles, CA. 90026Located near Temple St. and North East Edgeware Rd. on the grounds of Plasencia Elementary. On Angelina Street, proceed up the stairs to the entrance of the S.E.P.A. Center.Office: (213) 482-3954Fax: (213) 481-2097Monday - Friday : 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
San Fernando Valley S.E.P.A at Panorama
8015 Van Nuys Blvd.,
Panorama City, CA 91402
Office: (818) 909-4584
Fax: (818) 909-4545
Monday - Friday : 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
SEPA LA: (213) 482-3954
SEPA PANORAMA: (818) 909-4593
Psychological First Aid: Supportive Strategies for School Staff, Parents, and Caregivers on how to Address Immigration Matters
Recent immigration news on deportations has triggered many strong emotions for staff, students, families and community members throughout the District and across the nation. As school staff, parents, and caregivers we play a critical role in promoting a sense of safety and healing the divisiveness that may permeate our schools and communities.
The mission of the center staff is to ensure that students are provided all services required to enroll in school and connect family with additional supports needed for academic, social and emotional success.