The LAUSD's Teacher Growth and Induction (TGI) is a free, two-year job-embedded teacher induction program, accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC). TGI supports beginning teachers holding a Preliminary Multiple Subject or Single Subject Credential. TGI is committed to accelerating teacher growth and development as professional educators, leading to a California Clear Teaching Credential. The California Standards for the Teaching Profession (CSTP) provide the foundational expectations for the TGI Program. The expectation is that candidates will progress towards mastery of the CSTPs through intensive individualized support. Support is provided by a trained mentor who will meet with the candidate for no less than an average of 60 minutes per week as stated by the California Induction Standards. Participating candidates are eligible to receive 6 district salary points per induction year completed. District salary points are not transferable to other districts.
TGI provides flexibility to general education candidates through individualized and differentiated mentoring, as candidates advance towards meeting the CTC requirements for Teacher Induction. The level of support provided by the mentor is differentiated based on Candidates’ years of experience and identified need. Candidate teachers will be assigned a mentor within the first 30 days of enrollment. During the Candidate’s induction journey, the Candidate will:
- Develop the enduring professional skills, prerequisite of effective educators
- Advance in their proficiency with the LAUSD Teaching and Learning Framework
- Demonstrate progress towards mastery of the California Standards for the Teaching Profession (CSTP)
Key Elements of the TGI Model of Support
- Support for general education multiple subject and single subject teachers in upgrading their Preliminary Teaching Credential to a California Clear Teaching Credential
- On-going, individualized professional development and support
- Development of an Individualized Learning Plan (ILP)
- Classroom instruction and content-focused mentoring
- Active participation from, and communication with, site administrator
Candidate Teachers must:
- Be assigned to a LAUSD school or an affiliated Charter School
- Hold a California Preliminary Teaching Credential in either Multiple Subject or Single Subject
- Currently be serving in a full-time teaching position and teaching at least one class in their content area
NOTE: Teachers in any substitute assignment, pool, pre-K infant, or ROP assignment are not eligible for the TGI program.
Candidate Teacher Program Requirements
- Apply to the TGI program to determine eligibility and for participation
- Attend a TGI Orientation
- Sign the TGI Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and Dispositions documents
- Fully participate, through active involvement, in individualized support coordinated by your TGI mentor for an average of no less than one hour per week
The above only highlights some of the major TGI requirements. Successful completion of all TGI requirements will lead to the recommendation for a California Clear Teaching Credential.
(NOTE: To access the TGI Application, select the Eligibility and Application Link on the right menu.)