School Construction Bond Citizens' Oversight Committee
D. Michael Hamner, Vice-Chair
Raised in East Los Angeles, Michael graduated from the University of Southern California (B-Arch '84). He is a faculty member of ELAC's Department of Architecture since 1992, where he was Chair from 2007 to 2021. Michael's elevation to Fellowship in 2017 was the first time a two-year community college professor and program received this honor. He is NCARB certified and a licensed Architect in California, Hawaii and Louisiana where his experience spans from hospitality to institutional facilities. For 31 years he has been a principal, with his architect wife, of D. Michael Hamner, FAIA, Architects and BArch, Builder | Architects, a design-build/development company.
Michael has served the City of Monterey Park as a Commissioner for over 27 years on the Design Review Board and the Planning Commission. He was chair/vice chair of both commissions, 17 years.
Michael's career in Academia commenced in 1987 at Woodbury University. As Chair of the ELAC Department of Architecture for 14 years, the program has transferred over 340 students, an average of 24 students a year, to accredited Architecture Programs across the country. 97% of ELAC transfers have graduated their respective programs and, in so doing, the students have received numerous accolades and life-long career opportunities.
Michael has also coached basketball some 45 years for numerous organizations, NAU, NJB, AAU, JBL (Pro-Am League). From 2000 to 2009, he coached at Schurr High School, in Montebello. He served seven of those years as a Varsity Coach, qualifying for CIF playoffs, 6 years in a row and won 3 league championships.
- Margaret Fuentes, Chair - LAUSD Student Parent
- D. Michael Hamner, Vice-Chair - American Institute of Architects
- Samantha Rowles, Secretary - LAUSD Student Parent
- Robert Campbell, Executive Committee - L.A. Co. Auditor-Controller’s Office
- Scott Pansky, Executive Committee - L.A. Area Chamber of Commerce
- Neelura Bell, Member - CA Charter School Association
- Jeff Fischbach, Member - CA Tax Reform Assn.
- Chris Hannan, Member - L.A. Co. Federation of Labor AFL-CIO
- Patrick MacFarlane, Member - Early Childhood Alliance
- Jennifer Pope McDowell, Member - L.A. City Mayor’s Office
- Brian Mello, Member - Assoc. General Contractors of CA
- Dr. Clarence C. Monteclaro, Member - Tenth District PTSA
- William O. Ross IV, Member - 31st District PTSA
- Chad Boggio, Alternate - L.A. Co. Federation of Labor AFL-CIO
- Connie Yee, Alternate - L.A. Co. Auditor-Controller’s Office