• Childhood Development Teacher Permits for TK

  • The Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) issues Child Development Teacher Permits.   In order to qualify for a Child Development Teacher Permit the CTC requires that individuals must satisfy all of the requirements listed in one of the following options:


    Option 1

    1. Complete all General Requirements (see Terms and Definitions)
    2. Complete 16 semester units in general education, including at least one course in each of the following areas: humanities and/or fine arts, social sciences, math and/or science, and English and/or language arts
    3. Complete 175 days of experience in an instructional capacity in a child care and development program, working at least three hours per day within the last four years. This experience must be verified by on an original letter from the employer on official letterhead
    School-Age Emphasis under this option requires that 12 of the 24 semester units of early childhood education/child development be in school-age course work.


    Option 2

    1. Complete an associate degree or higher in early childhood education or child development or a related field
    2. Complete three semester units of supervised field experience in an early childhood education setting
    School-Age Emphasis under this option may be obtained by completion of an associate degree or higher in school-age education, including three semester units of supervised field experience in an early childhood education setting.


    In order to apply for a Child Development Permit, please gather required documentation and schedule an appointment to process with:

    ·         Credentials and Contract Specialist (CCS) Arthur Villanova at arthur.villanova@lausd.net , if your name begins with letters A through M


    ·         Credentials and Contract Specialist (CCS) Rosalind Cook at rosalind.cook@lausd.net , if your last name begins with letters N through Z


    Term and Renewal

    The Child Development Teacher Permit is issued for five years and is renewable for successive five-year periods upon completion of 105 hours of professional growth. This permit may be renewed online.


    Additional Permits

    The CTC issues the following levels of Child Development permits, which also meet requirements to teach in a Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program:


    ·         Child Development Master Teacher Permit

    ·         Child Development Site Supervisor Permit

    ·         Child Development Program Director Permit


    For additional information on CTC Child Development Permits go to http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl797.pdf



  • Contact

            Luz Ortega

    Phone Icon(213) 241-5300

    eMail Icon

    Credentials, Contracts, and Compliance Team

    Drop Pin Address:

           333 S. Beaudry Ave,
           15th Floor

            Los Angeles, CA 90017