STairway Emergency Evacuation for Disabilities
An OEM Program Providing Disaster Equity and Access
The STEED program provides an Evac Chair and hands-on training to every LAUSD multi-story school to facilitate safe and effective emergency evacuation for all students, regardless of physical ability. An Evac Chair allows students with disabilities and health conditions to evacuate using the stairways in an emergency alongside their classmates, providing disaster equity and access for our students.
Training Opportunities in Each Region
STEED Evac Chair training was offered in the 2022-2023 school year and over 300 schools were trained. We will complete the STEED program by December 2023, primarily through summer training and wrapping up with final sessions in Region North and Region West.
Schools that were fully trained during the 2022-2023 school year have already received their Evac Chair.
- STEED Evac Chair Training Agenda
- Evac Chair 300H Step by Step Operating Graphic
- Principal Evac Chair Shipment Letter
- Emergency Preparedness for Students with Disabilities Tips and Checklist
- Tips and Reminders for Conducting Evac Chair Training
- MyPLN Video Course (strongly recommended for everyone taking STEED training): STEPS 210 "Assisting Students with Special Needs during an Emergency"