Frequently Asked Questions

To pay school developer fees, please prepare the following items for collection:


  1. Signed Certification of Payment of Developer Fees - provided by your building and safety office, 
  2. Completed Refund and Waiver Policy, and 
  3. Check payable to LAUSD for the exact amount. 


To pay by mail, please mail all documents by USPS to:



Developer Fee Program Office

P.O. Box 513307

Los Angeles, CA 90051


To pay in person, please email to schedule an appointment Monday through Friday, between 8:00 am and 3:00 pm. As a reminder, the office is in downtown Los Angeles, at


LAUSD Beaudry Building

Developer Fee Program Office

333 S. Beaudry Ave, 27th Floor

Los Angeles, CA 90017

Request the Certification of Payment of Developer Fee Form from your building and safety office.

To fund school facilities needed as a result of development, Government Code § 65995, Education Code § 17620, and Assembly Bill 2926, also known as the “1986 School Facilities Legislation,” granted school districts the right to levy fees to offset the impact on school facilities from new residential and commercial/industrial developments.

Education Code § 17620(a)(1) allows the school district to charge Developer Fees only within the District's boundaries.

Los Angeles Unified School District Map

Fees are levied on construction projects as a condition of obtaining a building permit from the corresponding city or county.

Per Government Code § 65995(b), the amount of the square footage shall be calculated by the building department of the city or county issuing the building permit, in accordance with the standard practice of that city or county in calculating structural perimeters.

  1. For residential developmentthe square footage within the perimeter of a residential structure, not including any carport, covered or uncovered walkway, garage, overhang, patio, enclosed patio, detached accessory structure, or similar area is used in the calculation. If the addition exceeds 500 sq. ft. of assessable space, fees are charged for the entire addition. 
  2.  For commercial or industrial construction, the covered and enclosed space is determined to be within the structure's perimeter, not including any storage areas incidental to the building's principal use; garage, parking structure, unenclosed walkway, or utility or disposal area is used in the calculation.

Yes. Changing the occupancy from commercial/industrial to residential is considered “New Residential Construction” and is levied the current fee rate, as this may impact the school district. 

This also applies when converting an exempt structure (e.g., garage to an accessory dwelling unit (ADU), as this is the first time it will be used as a residential dwelling. This applies even if there is no construction per se.


You may confirm if the property falls within LAUSD's boundaries by visiting the Resident School Finder.

Currently, the Developer Fee Office only accepts checks and money orders.

Ensure that the form of payment is made payable to LAUSD in the exact amount.

Parking is available at the Visconti Apartments, located at 1221 W. 3rd St. Enter through the Eastern-most entrance on Miramar Street, West of Boylston Street/Huntley Dr. When you access the parking lot, please take a parking ticket, and bring it with you to have it validated.

The impact fee restrictions on ADUs imposed by Senate Bill 13 (“SB 13") are only applicable to impact fees levied by cities, counties, and special districts. School districts are independently authorized to levy school developer fees per Education Code § 17620. SB 13 does not modify, suspend, or mention Education Code § 17620. Accordingly, SB 13 does not restrict school districts’ levies of school fees on ADUs. For the same reasons, AB 881 does not limit the levy of school developer fees on ADUs.

See the Department of Housing and Community Development’s ADU handbook:

TextDescription automatically generated


Yes, submit a written request to the Developer Fee Office within 90 calendar days after the payment of the developer fee - Include the property address, the basis of the protest/refund, and your contact information.

The statutory process for the protest of a developer fee requires that the fee be paid under protest, and the owner/developer prepares a written notice to the Developer Fee Office setting forth the basis for the protest. The protest must be filed at the time of approval of the development or within ninety (90) days after the imposition of the fee.

The statute allows certain developments an exemption from payment of developer fees, or a reduced amount levied. The construction project must meet exemption criteria to qualify.

  1. Less than 500 Square Feet Education Code Section 17620 (a)(1)(C) provides that additions to a residential project must exceed 500 square feet of assessable space before fees can be levied. Note, that this only applies to residential construction.
  2. Demolition To obtain a demolition credit/partial refund if not provided before payment of school developer fee, the District needs proof that:
  1. The demolished dwelling was issued a demolition permit and a corresponding signed inspection card.
  2. A building permit was issued for the reconstruction of a new dwelling.
  3. Continuous ownership (i.e., grant deed) of the property from demolition through rebuilding.
  1. Mobile Homes Developer Fee cannot be levied on manufactured or mobile homes located, installed, or occupied on a space in a mobile home park if construction on that space, under a building permit, began on or before September 1, 1986.
  2. Canceled/Expired Permit Education Code Section 17624 requires the District to refund the collected Developer Fee if the building permit expires without commencement of construction.
  3. Senior Citizen Development Board policy states that, except as provided by law, development projects whose facilities are designated specifically and exclusively for use by senior citizens are exempt from Developer Fees. However, any project that includes 150 or more units and is owned or operated by a profit-making entity is subject to the Developer Fee assessment at the commercial/industrial rate.
  4. Exclusive Religious Use 

    Government Code 65995 (d) and Rev. & Tax. Code 207 states that any facility used exclusively for religious purposes is thereby exempt from property taxation under the laws of the state.

               Property must be owned and operated by a church, AND

    Property is used for exclusive religious worship or schooling purposes, AND

               Property is deemed exempt from property taxation under the laws of the state.

  5. Agricultural Structure Education Code Section 17622 (a) exempts greenhouse or other agricultural space unless the District complies with both subdivisions (b) and (c); reasonable relationship and reasonable cost/fee test. 
  6. Government Building Government Code 65995 (d) states that "Residential, commercial, or industrial construction" does not include: any facility that is owned and occupied by one or more agencies of Federal, state, or local governments is exempt from Developer Fees.
  7. Private School Government Code 65995 (d) exempts any facility used exclusively as a private full-time day school as described in Education Code 48222. 
  8. Disaster Replacement No fee may be charged for the reconstruction of any structure that is damaged or destroyed due to a disaster (e.g., fire, flood, etc.) except to the extent that the square footage of the reconstructed structure exceeds the square footage of the structure that was damaged or destroyed.

Additional supporting documentation and information will be requested by the Developer Fee Office to review requests on a case-by-case basis.