Choose Your Language

  • GRADE CHANGES (Letter Grade to Pass/No Pass)

    Education Code section 49066.5 (AB 104) establishes that a parent, which includes the natural or adoptive parent or guardian, the person having legal custody, or other educational rights holder, or a student who is age 18 or older and enrolled in high school during the 2020-21 school year, may apply for one or more of their child's letter grades for a course, taken during the 2020-21 school year in high school, to be changed to a Pass or No Pass on the student’s transcript. There is no limit as to the number or type of courses eligible for this grade change application. The grade change application shall not negatively affect the student’s grade point average or result in the forfeiture of a student’s eligibility for athletics or school programs.

    The grade change application must be submitted to your child's school on or before Friday, October 1, 2021. A school will not accept applications after that date. The school is required to make the change of a student’s grade from a letter grade to a Pass (A-D) or No Pass (F) within 15 days of the request and will notify the student and student’s parent or guardian that the grade was changed.

    Absent an application to change a transcript by this date, a letter grade earned in the 2020-21 school year will remain on the student's transcript. Please note some postsecondary educational institutions, including those in other states, may not accept a Pass or No Pass grade instead of a letter grade for admission purposes.

    How to Request a Grade Change Application for the School Year 2020–2021

    If you would like to request a GRADE CHANGE APPLICATION SCHOOL YEAR 2020–2021 for an “eligible pupil,” please follow these steps:

    1. Review the Frequently Asked Questions below.
    3. Submit the completed GRADE CHANGE APPLICATION SCHOOL YEAR 2020–2021 form to your student's school site in person or via email to the school principal using the email subject line: "AB104 Grade Change." Principal contact information is available on Unified Enrollment, search by school name. Principal's name, with a link to email, is located on the bottom of Fast Facts.
    4. Pupil and parents/guardians will be notified of the change within 15 days of the District receiving the application.

FAQ - Grading (Pass/No Pass)

  • Who can request the grade change(s)?

  • What academic marks are eligible to be changed to a Pass (P) or No Pass (NP)?

  • When is the deadline for a grade change request to be made?

  • Where do I submit a completed grade change request form?

  • Will CSUs, UCs and/or other postsecondary institutions accept a grade of Pass or No Pass for admission purposes?

  • Where can I find a list of postsecondary institutions that will accept a Pass/ No Pass for admissions purposes?