Return to Headlines

Los Angeles Unified Free and Reduced Price Meals for the 2019-20 School Year (8-9-19)




LOS ANGELES (Aug. 9, 2019) - Many of our students get most of their daily nutrition from food provided at school. In fact, nearly 80% of the Los Angeles Unified enrollment qualifies for meals that are free or are available at a reduced cost. Children who buy their lunch also benefit because support from the federal and state government ensures that these meals are sold at a reasonable cost.

The policy of the Los Angeles Unified School District is to serve nutritious meals every school day under the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program. Effective July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020, children are eligible for free or reduced-price meals if the household income is less than or equal to the federal guidelines.

The Los Angeles Unified School District takes part in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs. Meals are served every school day. At elementary schools, the full price of student breakfast is $2.25 and lunch is $3.00; at middle schools breakfast is $2.50 and lunch is $3.25 and at high schools breakfast is $2.75 and lunch is $3.50. Students who are eligible to pay a lower price may receive breakfast for $.30 and lunch for $.40.

  • No application is required for many students because Los Angeles Unified participates in Direct Certification. If your household currently receives CalFresh, or if your child receives California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs), or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) benefits, or Medi-Cal Program benefits, your child will qualify for free or reduced price meals.


  • For families who need to apply to determine eligibility, only one application is required for all students in a household. “Household” means a group of related or non-related individuals who are living as one economic unit and sharing living expenses. “Living expenses” include rent, clothes, food, doctor bills and utility bills.


  • If the total household income is the same or less than the amounts on the income scale below, your child may qualify to receive meals at free or reduced price.


  • A foster care child who is the legal responsibility of a welfare agency or ward of the court may automatically qualify for free meals. However, if you apply for meal benefits for a foster child, you must list the names of all foster children in your care along with other students in the household who are attending a Los Angeles Unified school.



Complete and sign the attached Application for Free and Reduced-Price Meals or complete an Online Meal Application at For quick processing, mail the application in the enclosed pre-paid, self-addressed envelope or return it to the Food Services Manager at your child’s school. This application cannot be approved if it is incomplete or does not contain the requested information.



If your household receives CalFresh, CalWORKS, or FDPIR benefits, you DO NOT NEED TO COMPLETE AN APPLICATION. You will be notified of your child(ren)’s eligibility for free meals. If you are not notified, please contact the school, fill out and submit an application.



If you have a Foster child/ (ren) in your care, you may not need to complete an application. You will be notified of your foster child (ren)’s eligibility for free meals. If you are not notified, complete a meal application. List all foster and any other children in the household on the same application. For the foster children, mark the box stating this is a foster child. The foster parent or agency official must sign the application.


ALL OTHER INCOME HOUSEHOLDS (wages, salary, pensions, etc.)

If you do not enter a CalFresh, CalWORKS, or FDPIR case number on the application, you must enter:

  • The names of all school-age children in your household who attend Los Angeles Unified schools.
  • The names of all other household members, their income for each by source and check the how often box OR leave income box blank if no income.
  • The last 4-digits of the Social Security number of the adult household member who signs the application is required or check the box” I do not have a Social Security number.”

The adult household member who is completing the form must sign it.



The amount of gross income each household member received last month must be listed before taxes or anything else is taken out. List the source of income, such as earnings, welfare, pensions, and other income. 

To calculate annual income: Weekly x 52; Bi- weekly x 26; Twice- monthly x 24; Monthly x 12. 















Wages, salaries and tips, strike benefits, unemployment compensation, net income from self-owned business or farm.


Public assistance payments, welfare payments, alimony, and child support payments.


Pensions, supplemental security income, retirement payments, Social Security Income (SSI) (including SSI a child receives).


Disability benefits; cash withdrawn from savings; interest and dividends, income from estates, trusts, and investments; regular contributions from persons not living in the household; net royalties and annuities; net rental income; any other income. Military Privatized Housing Initiative or combat pay does not have to be reported.



The application must have the last 4 digits of the Social Security Number of the adult who signs it. If the adult does not have a Social Security number, check mark the box, “I do not have a Social Security number”. If a CalFresh, CALWORKS, or FDPIR case number for the child is listed, or if the application is for a foster child only, a Social Security number is not required.



You may apply for benefits at any time during the school year. If you are not eligible now but your income drops, you lose your job, your family becomes larger, or you become eligible for CalFresh, CALWORKS, or FDPIR, or Medi-Cal Program benefits, you may submit an application at that time.



School officials may check the information on the application at any time during the school year. You may be asked to send information to prove your income, or current eligibility for CalFresh, CalWORKS, or FDPIR benefits. 



If you believe your child needs a food substitute or texture modification because of a disability, please contact the school. A child with disability is entitled to a special meal at no extra charge if the disability prevents the child from eating the regular school meal.



If you currently receive benefits under the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants & Children – better known as the WIC Program – your child may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals. You are encouraged to complete an application and return it to the school for processing



Children who receive free or reduced-price meals must be treated in the same manner as those children who pay full price for their meals.


FAIR HEARING – If you do not agree with the school’s decision regarding your application or the result of verification, you may discuss it with the school. You also have the right to a fair hearing. A fair hearing may be requested by calling or writing the following school official.


Director of Food Services

333 S. Beaudry Ave., 28th Floor

Los Angeles, CA 90017 (213) 241-2993



Family size, household, income, and Social Security number information will remain confidential and will not be shared for any purpose. Information you provide will determine your child(ren)’s eligibility to receive free or reduced-price meals.


If you have any questions or need assistance in completing the application, please contact the Meal Compliance Unit at (213) 241-3185. You will be notified by the Food Services Division when your application has been approved or denied for free or reduced-price meals.


If you do not agree with the decision or results of verification, you may discuss it with school officials. You also have the right to a fair hearing, which may be requested by calling or writing the hearing official: Manish Singh, Director of Food Services, 333 S. Beaudry Avenue, 28th Floor, Los Angeles, CA  90017; telephone number 213-241-2993. 

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.


To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:


(1) Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) Fax:   (202) 690-7442; or

(3) Email:


This institution is an equal opportunity provider.