• A-G Intervention and Support

  • Students and Families

  • College Admissions

Need to apply? 

University of California

The UC Application opens August 1st for its nine campuses. The deadline to apply is November 30th. Click to start your application.



Confused about the SAT and ACT? 

The official UC page on testing requirements.



Looking to explore the 9 UC campuses open to Freshmen?

The UC has 9 campuses - each unique. They also have a variety of programs and services to help every student. 



Writing the Personal insight questions (PIQ)

As a part of your application to the UC system, you will need to answer 4 of the 8 PIQs.



Looking for resources for high school students and parents?

The UCLA EAOP office updates their website regularly and is a great place for families to start becoming UC ready.



Looking for resources for undocumented students?

The UC system has dedicated many resources to supporting undocumented students.



Need to apply? 

The CSU Application opens October 1st for its twenty-three campuses. The deadline to apply is December 4th. Click to start your application.



Looking to explore the 23 CSU campuses? 

Search all 23 campuses to find your ideal university. You can search by location, degrees, size and more.



What is EOP?

The CSU’s Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) provides admission, academic and financial support services to historically underserved students throughout California.



Confused about the SAT and ACT?

Visit the official Freshman testing requirements website.



Looking for resources for undocumented students?

The CSU provided undocumented students with many services and support.



Need to apply for the Common App?

The Common App represents nearly 900 campuses; the application opens August 01. Deadlines and requirements vary by institution.



What are my 2-year college choices?

California Community Colleges

Community colleges accept applications on a rolling basis.



What is the Common App?

This helpful site has lots of information on supporting a student in the journey to a private college.



Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

If you are a CA resident and interested in attend college in the western states, you may be able to pay in-state tuition. This can save you thousands of dollars on tuition.



Colleges that Change Lives (CTCL)

This non-profit organization supports a student-centered college search process. There are college fairs for families, and college profiles.



Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU)

HBCUs offer all students, regardless of race, an opportunity to develop their skills and talents.




    College Tests (SAT/ACT)

What is the ACT?

Check out test dates and registration information.



Need test prep help?

The Los Angeles Public Library offers students Test Prep courses.



What is the SAT?

Check out test dates and registration information.





Need to log in?

Students can click here to log in to Naviance. 

LAUSD Clever Log In


    College Advising

Where can I get resources for Foster Youth and Students Experiencing Homelessness?

John Burton Advocates for Youth (JBAY) has developed tools to help youth get the support they need for college and beyond.



Where can I get resources for undocumented students?

Immigrants Rising provides undocumented young people support in getting a college education and a rewarding career - regardless of immigrant status.



  • Financial Aid

Free Application for Federal Student Aid

The FAFSA opens October 1st and must be submitted if you are applying to college.



Financial aid can come from federal, state, school, and private sources to help you pay for college or career school.



The California Dream Act Application allows students interested in attending eligible California Colleges, Universities and Career Education Programs to apply for state financial aid.



A Cal Grant A Cal Grant is money for college you don’t have to pay back. To qualify, you must apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA) by the deadline and meet the eligibility and financial requirements as well as any minimum GPA requirements.



"College Scholarship Service” (CSS) Profile

The CSS Profile, short for the College Scholarship Service Profile, is an online application that allows college students to apply for non-federal financial aid."



After your FAFSA or CADAA application is processed, you’ll receive an email letting you know it’s time to create your WebGrants4Students account.




    College Journals

You can find a digital copy of the Senior College Journal here

Download Senior College Journal


You can find a digital copy of the Junior College here

Download Junior Booklet



    Students and Athletes and the NCAA

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) is a member-led organization dedicated to the well-being and lifelong success of college athletes. It organizes the athletic programs of over 1,1000 colleges and universities in the United States and Canada, and helps more than 480,000 college student-athletes who compete annually in college sports. NCAA programs are divided into Divisions I, II and III. In addition to governing over 40 college sports, the NCAA deals with financial aid for athletes, recruitment, and determining athletes’ eligibility. Students wishing to compete in collegiate sports can use the NCAA portal to research schools and find which would best fit their interests and abilities. Priorities to consider when researching NCAA schools are their Division, athletic programs, playing for a certain coach and possible scholarships in addition to school size and location.


Division I: on average, these schools enroll the most students, manage the largest athletics budgets, offer a wide array of academic programs and provide the most athletics scholarships.


Division II: these schools provide growth opportunities through academic achievement, high-level athletic competition and community engagement. Many participants are first-generation college students.


Division III: here, the experience provides an integrated environment that focuses on academic success while offering competitive athletics and meaningful non-athletics opportunities.


Future college athletes should have decided on the type of school that best suits them by the end of their junior year, and be on track to graduate in good standing. Division I, II and III schools have differing academic requirements that combine variations of GPA and SAT/ACT scores. These rules will form an important part of students’ research into preferred schools. 

All NCAA schools consider students’ GPA in core courses, so a student’s NCAA GPA will look a little different from on their overall transcript GPA. Scores from the SAT and ACT are also used to determine eligibility, so students should be encouraged to take practice tests and access prep programs to maximize success. The NCAA will look at the highest section scores across all tests taken, and does not require the SAT Writing section or essay scores. For more information, visit the NCAA website


College Bound Student Athlete 2019-2020

Division I & Division II Flyer




The recruiting process varies by Division and sport, but for most student athletes it all starts when a college coach visits their high school or club game to evaluate possible freshman recruits. Conversations and meetings follow, that also involves the student’s school or club coaches and his/her family. Colleges that are interested in a student can offer them college visits, sometimes with all expenses paid. Financial offers are made near the end of the process and can entail full or partial athletic scholarships. Signing a letter of intent finalizes the athletic recruiting process; at this point the student is committed to the school, and cannot consider counter offers from another institution.  For more information, visit the NCAA website



    Instructional Support

Every student has different learning styles and different learning needs … which makes us amazing human beings! Along with this uniqueness comes the reality that, at some time or other, we all will need assistance to stay on track in class and earn grades of C or better. Earning grades of C or higher is important for several reasons:

  • Grades of C or higher are proof that you learned the subject well and are ready for the next semester/year in that course.
  • Grades of C or higher will improve your eligibility for 4-year college … and even if you aren’t sure about going to college right now, being prepared will give you more options that benefit you AND your family! Remember that some colleges and programs - like engineering and nursing - will have higher than "C" average requirements for admission. Whatever your goals are, be sure to talk to your counselor and check individual college websites for details.
  • Grades of C or higher will increase your opportunities to get free money to pay for college, as in financial aid, awards, and scholarships.

Whether it’s tutoring or academic intervention you need, course extension or credit recovery, schools will find a way to help you. The great thing to know is that every school has various options – all you have to do is ask! Read the sections below for solutions that can help you, or someone you know.


Ask your teacher about intervention resources. Everyone struggles sometimes and it’s important to get help when you need it! Don’t wait, as the courses can move fast. Moving on to a new topic/learning standard if you don’t fully understand the current material will lead to more confusion later on in the semester, and can result in low or failing grades.


Some intervention resources can be assigned as part of your regular class. There can also be intervention labs and classes before/after school or on Saturdays. Also, you can access the tutor.com service via your Schoology home page for extra help outside of class. Each school has different options and you can check in with your counselor to find out how and where to get help.


Don’t worry if you get a grade of D on your final report. Talk your counselor and teacher as soon as final grades are posted and learn how and when to get help. Every student has unique learning needs, and so schools will have different academic course extension (ACE) options for additional time and assignments for students to improve a final low grade. These options will happen either during Spring, Summer or Winter break, or in the beginning of the next semester that follows when the final grade was issued.


When you complete ACE successfully, according to requirements, the low grade on your transcript will be replaced with a C or higher (depending on how your teacher graded the assignments).


In high school, staying on track and passing classes each semester is essential for graduating on time. But sometimes life happens! The important thing is not to let grades of F define who you are, or determine what your true potential is.

Talk to your teacher if you anticipate getting a grade of F, or ask your counselor right away if you see one on your report card. Taking action as soon as possible means that you can get back on track without letting problems accumulate.   

Schools will have lots of ways that students can re-take a class they didn‘t pass the first time around:

  • In the school day: for students who will do best with the maximum amount of learning time and teacher support, the counselor will program them into the same class in the following semester or year.
  • In Summer Term: this is a popular option for students to re-take a class needed for graduation. The summer program moves fast though, so it might not be the best fit for every student.
  • In Winter or Spring break (intercessions): students can start a credit recovery class during the break, then have additional Saturday or after-school sessions to complete their learning if needed. Alternatively, if you started your credit recovery during the semester and need more time, coming to these intercession options will give you the space and time to finish strong.
  • Outside the instructional day: some schools have a “zero period” credit recovery class, perfect for early birds to learn with their teachers in a small group setting. After-school and Saturday sessions are also an option at many schools.
  • Independent study or Adult School: this is a great option for students who can learn mostly on their own, with some support each week from the teacher. Students who are confident in knowing the course topics and prefer independence can finish a course at their own pace in independent study settings.
  • In a continuation high school: students who have several Fs on their transcript can be enrolled at a neighboring continuation school for a semester or more. Here they will find small classes and lots of personalized support to recover the classes. Once they have passed the required classes, they can return to their high school.