Student Work Permits


    Updated: 5/9/24


    General Work Permits (Fall and Spring)  

    Students seeking a General Work Permit during the academic year must contact their school of attendance first to determine if their school is issuing work permits. If work permits may not be obtained from the home school site, the Work Experience Education Office is available to assist students. Effective Monday, August 14, 2023, a student seeking a work permit from the Work Experience Education Office will also need an Authorization Letter from their school of attendance. 

    Work permits issued during the Fall and Spring semesters will only be issued to the minor who is seeking employment (the minor MUST be present). Before visiting the Work Experience Education Office for a General Work Permit, the minor MUST have the documents listed below:   


    Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for a Work Permit - Certificate of Age B1-1 Rev 02-14  (Download Form HERE)  

    • Must be completed in full and signed with a "wet signature" by the student, parent, and employer (EC 49115 (e), EC 49163 (e), Enacted by Stats. 1976, Ch. 1010).
    • The form must be dated within the last month (30 days).
    • Students should NOT email this form to and from the employer. Your personal information may be exposed.

    School Authorization Letter (SAL) (Download Form HERE

    • The school of attendance must add school letterhead to the form (Virtual Academies, City of Angels, Charter and Private schools, and any LAUSD school without a work permit issuer)
    • The form must be dated within the last month (30 days).
    • The form must contain a wet signature.
    • If the form contains a digital signature, the email from which the form was received will be verified.

    Current Photo ID

    • Valid Government ID or Passport, or
    • Photo school ID containing the date of birth. If the date of birth is not printed on the School ID, the student must also present the Certificate of Birth.
    • The Work Experience Education Office will not accept an ID from a device nor will the office accept an email copy. 


    • A current transcript is required for homes-chooled students only. 
    • Documents must contain grades and attendance records.





    333 S. Beaudry Ave, 2nd Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90017





    Entertainment Work Permits (EWP)

    If you are a minor seeking a work permit in the entertainment business, minors may download the Entertainment Work Permit Application HERE. The EWP must be signed and stamped by the minor's School of Attendance. The document may be emailed to the minor's school administrator or designee for verification of Satisfactory Grades and Attendance. The LAUSD WEE Office CANNOT sign on the school's behalf. 

    It is the parent/guardian's responsibility to contact the Entertainment Work Permit office to obtain the legal work permit. Additional information about obtaining an Entertainment Work Permit may be found by visiting the EWP Website:




If you are having trouble viewing the document, you may download the document.